
The Southern Transitional Council denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
Yemen's main separatist group, the Southern Transitional Council, denied that it was disbanding on Saturday, contradicting a statement by one of its members that the group had decided to dissolve itself.
The conflicting statements highlight a split in the STC, a group backed by the United Arab Emirates that seized parts of southern and eastern Yemen in December in advances that heightened tensions with another Gulf power, Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia and the UAE used to work together in a coalition battling the Iranian-backed terrorist organization, the Houthis, in Yemen's civil war, but the STC advances exposed their rivalry, bringing into focus big differences on a wide range of issues across the Middle East, ranging from geopolitics to oil output.
Saudi-backed forces retake STC seized land
Saudi-backed fighters have largely retaken the areas of southern and eastern Yemen that the STC seized, and an STC delegation has traveled to the Saudi capital Riyadh for talks.
But STC leader Aidarous al-Zubaidi skipped the planned meetings and fled Yemen on Wednesday, and the Saudi-led coalition accused the UAE of helping him escape on a flight that was tracked to a military airport in Abu Dhabi.
In an announcement broadcast on Saudi state media on Friday, one of the group's members said the STC had decided to disband.
In a statement issued on Saturday, the STC said it had held an "extraordinary meeting" following the announcement in Riyadh and declared it "null and void," saying it had been made "under coercion and pressure."
The group also said its members in Riyadh had been detained and were being "forced to issue statements."
The STC reiterated calls for mass protests in southern cities on Saturday, warning against any attempts that target the group's "peaceful activities."
Authorities in Aden that are aligned with Yemen's Saudi-backed government on Friday ordered a ban on demonstrations in the southern city, citing security concerns, according to an official directive seen by Reuters.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Idris Elba is the king of the stress-watch - 2
In wrangling dark matter, some scientists find inspiration in the Torah, Krishna and Christ - 3
Survey: Canteen Cups With Great Warm Protection Impact - 4
Protester climbs on to balcony of Iranian embassy in London - 5
Opening Monetary Information: Your Exhaustive Manual for Finding out about Individual budget
New peace laureate: Iran's arrest of Mohammadi 'confession of fear'
23 Most Amusing Messages At any point Sent Among Kids and Their Folks
Turkey’s intel chief lays out country’s vision for Middle East, world
EU Commission prepares €90bn Ukraine loan despite Hungary's veto
Images of Bangladeshi motorcyclists sleeping at petrol pumps are AI-generated
JFK's granddaughter reveals terminal cancer diagnosis, criticizes cousin RFK Jr.
NASA astronauts to return from space early due to an 'unexpected medical issue.' What happened — and when are they coming home?
Choosing Moving Styles for Your Restroom Redesign
Consume Fat Quick: 10 Demonstrated Activities for Ideal Outcomes













